How to Decode a Chevy's VIN
- To find the VIN on most Chevrolet models, check the driver’s side dashboard, which can be seen from outside the car through the windshield. The VIN is also typically located on the driver’s side door jamb, or you may find it on insurance and registration papers if they are readily available.
- Enter its VIN into our search above or our VIN Decoder.
- Within moments, receive a report about the Chevy you searched.
Decode up to 50 Chevrolet VINs per month with a Bumper subscription!
Why try our Chevrolet VIN Decoder?
Our Chevy VIN decoder could allow you to:
- Verify the authenticity of your Chevrolet, especially if it’s a classic model.
- Get detailed information about your vehicle’s specifications, options, and trim.
- Confirm your Chevrolet’s history, including previous owner quantity, recalls, title issues, lien status, and more.
- Ensure you’re buying a genuine Chevrolet that is represented accurately by its seller.
How many numbers are in a Chevrolet VIN?
Every Chevrolet Vehicle Identification Number (VIN) contains a 17-character alphanumeric code unique to each Chevrolet vehicle. It provides a range of information about a given Chevrolet vehicle, including the year it was built, the country and factory the Chevrolet was built in, its engine and transmission types, exterior color, safety equipment, and more.
For Chevrolet vehicles, and more broadly for General Motors vehicles sold in North America, the WMIs can vary, but commonly they include:
- “1G1” - This WMI is typically used for Chevrolet passenger cars.
- “1GC” - This WMI is commonly used for Chevrolet trucks.
- “2G1” - This WMI indicates Chevrolet vehicles manufactured in Canada.
- “3G1” - This WMI indicates Chevrolet vehicles manufactured in Mexico.
Each character within the WMI has a specific meaning:
- The first character (“1,” “2,” or “3”) indicates the country of manufacture (U.S., Canada, or Mexico respectively for Chevrolet).
- The second character (“G”) represents General Motors.
- The third character (“1” or “C”) often indicates the division within General Motors, with “1” typically standing for Chevrolet.
What info can you get from our Chevy VIN decoder?
Our Chevy VIN lookup offers comprehensive insights about a Chevrolet, encompassing its production specifics, features, as well as updates on any recalls. It also covers historical data such as accident involvement, odometer records, instances of flood damage, and even theft. This information is crucial for assessing a pre-owned Chevrolet or confirming the particulars of the Chevrolet you own.
Resources for Chevrolet Owners
- Find out how much a Chevrolet may be worth by using our market value tool.
- Check for important safety recalls on a Chevrolet with our vehicle recall check.
- Investigate the history of a Chevrolet’s title with our branded title check
- Perform a vehicle title search for a Chevrolet vehicle to see if it has a lien or was impacted by a lemon law.
- Explore detailed vehicle history reports for Chevrolet vehicles.
Bumper makes decoding a Chevrolet VIN easy
Your Chevrolet’s VIN holds an abundance of details and data. Whether you’re a car owner or looking to purchase or sell, Bumper’s VIN decoding and vehicle history reports are here to help you make an informed decision.
Our marketplace is brimming with millions of vehicles, and our expanding network of partners provides unique opportunities to reduce costs and get a better understanding of owning a Chevrolet.
Ready, Set, Bumper...
Try Bumper today and learn more about a vehicle you plan to buy or already own.TRY Bumper Today