How to Decode a BMW VIN
- Locate your BMW’s VIN. The VIN can be found on the dashboard on the driver’s side on most BMWs, and it should be visible from the outside through the windshield.
- It can also often be found on a BMW’s driver’s side door jamb or on insurance and registration documents (if you have access to them).
- Enter its VIN into our VIN Decoder
- Within moments, receive a report about the BMW vehicle you searched.
Get up to 50 BMW vehicle history reports per month with a Bumper subscription!
Why use our BMW VIN Decoder?
Our BMW VIN decoder could allow you to:
- Verify the authenticity of your BMW, especially if it’s a rare or highly sought after trim.
- Get detailed information about your vehicle’s specifications, options, and trim.
- Confirm your BMW’s history, including previous owner quantity, recalls, title issues, lien status, and more.
- Ensure you’re buying a genuine BMW vehicle.
How many numbers are in a BMW VIN?
Every BMW Vehicle Identification Number (VIN) contains a 17-character alphanumeric code unique to each BMW vehicle. It provides a range of information about a given BMW vehicle, including the year it was built, the country and factory the BMW was built in, its engine and transmission types, exterior color, safety equipment, and more.
A BMW that was built in North America might have a WMI that starts with “5UX” or “4US” – “5” denotes the country of manufacture (United States), “U” signifies the vehicle type and manufacturing division, and “X” represents the model.
BMWs have VINs that start with specific World Manufacturer Identifier (WMI) codes. Here’s a breakdown of the common WMI codes for BMWs:
BMW WMI VIN codes for vehicles built in Germany:
- WBA (Passenger Car) Example: BMW 3 Series, BMW 5 Series
- WBX (Multipurpose Passenger Vehicle - MPV) Example: BMW X3, BMW X5
- 5UM (Passenger Car) Example: BMW Z4 Roadster, BMW Z8
- WBY (Passenger Car) Example: BMW i3, BMW i8
- WMZ (Multipurpose Passenger Vehicle - MPV) Example: BMW 2 Series Active Tourer, BMW 2 Series Gran Tourer
- 3MW (Passenger Car) Example: BMW 1 Series, BMW 2 Series
- WB5 (Multipurpose Passenger Vehicle - MPV) Example: BMW X1, BMW X2
- 3MF (Passenger Car) Example: BMW 1 Series Sedan, BMW 2 Series Coupe
- WBS (M Performance vehicles) Example: BMW M5, BMW M8
- WAP (Passenger Car) Example: BMW 7 Series, BMW 8 Series
BMW WMI VIN codes for vehicles built in the United States:
- 4US (Passenger Car) Example: BMW Z4 (made in USA), BMW X6 (made in USA)
- 5UX (Multipurpose Passenger Vehicle - MPV) Example: BMW X3 (made in USA), BMW X5 (made in USA)
- 5YM (Multipurpose Passenger Vehicle - MPV) Example: BMW X7, BMW X6 M (made in USA)
BMW motorcycle WMI VIN codes:
- WB1 (Motorcycle) Example: BMW R Series (e.g., R 1250 GS), BMW K Series (e.g., K 1600 GT)
- WB3 (Motorcycle) Example: BMW F Series (e.g., F 900 R), BMW G Series (e.g., G 310 R)
- WB4 (Motorcycle) Example: BMW S Series (e.g., S 1000 RR), BMW C Series (e.g., C 400 X)
Each character or set of characters tells a different part of the story of that car, from where it was made to its engine type and even the year it rolled off the assembly line.
What information can you get from our BMW VIN decoder?
Our BMW VIN lookup data provides detailed information about your vehicle, including its manufacturing details and specifications, MSRP and invoice pricing, options packages, as well as recall information, available accident history, and even things like reported odometer readings, flood damage, and theft information.
This data can be essential when purchasing a used BMW or verifying the details of your current vehicle, especially rare configurations of vintage or desirable BMW models like its various “M” cars.
Useful Tools and Resources for BMW Owners
- Shop for a BMW in our vehicle marketplace!
- Find out how much a BMW may be worth by trying our market value tool.
- Check your BMW for NHTSA recalls with our vehicle recall check.
- Investigate the history of a BMW’s title with our branded title check
- Perform a vehicle title search for a BMW vehicle to see if it has a lien or was impacted by a lemon law.
- Explore detailed vehicle history reports for BMW vehicles.
Bumper makes decoding a BMW VIN easy
Your Beemer’s VIN contains a wealth of information. Anyone who owns a BMW or is in the market to buy or sell one can use Bumper to find and decode a BMW VIN—but a Bumper subscription unlocks so much more!
With millions of vehicles in our marketplace and exclusive ways to manage and save on BMW ownership expenses via our growing list of partners, a Bumper subscription can help you get on the road to stress-free BMW maintenance and research!
Ready, Set, Bumper...
Try Bumper today and learn more about a vehicle you plan to buy or already own.TRY Bumper Today